It’s been a while. My daytimes were 80% meetings until last September, when I returned to the coding world. At that point, my job is compatible with listening to (lyrically simple) music… but I’m basically 10 years out-of-date with the scene.
So I’m slowly trying out “music discovery” in the modern age. If you’ve got any good tricks, pass ’em on! Meanwhile, here’s an extended mix — 40 mins. longer than usual — of some of the best stuff I’ve dug up.
As you can see, I’ve made more headway in electronic genres than the others. Lyricless music is definitely the best for my line of work. The slowest tune of the bunch (Loscil) is not a “listen at work” artist, but a different place: we have a sauna in our basement now, and I find slow ambient music is amazing there. Albums I’d had for a while — like Loscil’s Endless Falls disc — suddenly clicked, with the slow drone fitting perfectly with calm breathing rhythms. That said, I can’t yet justify dropping such an introspective track into a mix… so the Loscil track here has a little more tension in it.
Download here, for a few weeks only, or stream from Mixcloud.
In this era of easy streaming music… I feel pretty bad for the artists. If you like these tracks, please buy them individually, or buy a few of the albums. Think of it like a tip jar. The Mixcloud widget will let you buy many tracks from Juno with very little effort, and iTunes or Bandcamp searches can find the rest for you.
- eight and a half. go ego. rock, from eight and a half, 2012.
- the weeknd. rolling stone. r&b, from thursday, 2011.
- robin thicke. everything i can’t have. r&b, from the evolution of robin thicke, 2006.
- hypnolove. midnight cruising [mickey moonlight dub]. acid jazz, from future sounds of jazz 12 compilation, 2010.
- the cinematic orchestra. everyday. acid jazz, from every day, 2002.
- baden powell & vinicius de moraes. canto de ossanha [m.rux edit]. acid jazz, from m.rux – edits & cuts, 2014.
- radiohead. identikit. rock, from a moon shaped pool, 2016.
- sufjan stevens. drawn to the blood. folk, from carrie & lowell, 2015.
- dope lemon. neon lights. rock, from houndstooth ep, 2017.
- caribou. your love will set you free. techno, from our love, 2014.
- headshotboyz. calypso. dubstep, from project mooncircle 10th anniversary compilation, 2012.
- com truise feat. joel ford. declination. synthwave, from wave 1, 2014.
- jamie xx. girl. electronic, from in colour, 2015.
- daft punk. contact. house, from random access memories, 2013.
- emperors new clothes. darklight [underdog version]. downtempo, from kid loco: dj-kicks, 1999.
- loscil. drained lake. ambient, from monument builders, 2016.
- lapalux. rotted arp. experimental, from ruinism, 2017.
- gorillaz. el mañana. downtempo, from demon days, 2005.
- yppah. never mess with sunday. downtempo, from ninja tunes xx compilation, 2010.
- plaid. scoobs. techno, from peel session ep, 1999.
- isolée. floripa. techno, from floripa ep, 2015.
- diplo. into the sun. downtempo, from florida, 2000.
- afrolicious. a dub for mali. downtempo, from st. germaine-des-prés café 15 compilation, 2013.
- the xx. on hold. rock, from i see you, 2017.
A few tips outwards: thanks to Hendrik for reminding that Radiohead is amazing, to Tyson for helping me notice that Sufjan Steven’s new one was back to his old form, to Dave B for an immersion in synthwave, to the Aussie staff at the Only Cafe for playing that Dope Lemon track, to Paul for getting me on to the XX, to Matt T’s friends for pointing me at M.Rux, to Eddy for putting Loscil more firmly on my radar, to Soundcloud for actually making a good “you might like” recommendation, and to David T for giving me a streaming membership.